Dr. Will

Dr. Will
In Motion

Monday, June 13, 2011

THINK IT THROUGH

Everyday we are bombarded with bad, challenging or unpleasant news from some source. But at the end of the day, it is still our choice how we process the information we receive.

Here is a truth of life, trouble and bad things, indifferent things happen to everyone, but I have found that the way you RESPOND will make all the difference. Most people tend to REACT, rather than respond. Responding is a thought out plan to an event, as a reaction is an instant action in the heat of the moment.

You will probably agree that the majority of our worst outcomes our times when we didn’t take the time to think something through and we just made a random decision. Each day we are training ourselves how to respond or react to situations we don’t like.

Let me give you an example we can all relate to. Driving on the Freeway and some person (nice word used) cuts you off without signaling or anything. This is a training moment, do you respond or react. I know for me I want to react. Number one, by speeding up to catch this rude person, number two to give them THE LOOK and number three to fulfill the inner ego inside of me to say, “I showed them.”

But have you ever noticed once you pulled next to the car, the person is never looking at you or even worse, they are looking at you and you begin a screaming match with both windows closed driving at high speeds. JUST CRAZY, not a good look for you or me.


This type of behavior only grows and gets worse if we don’t learn how to RESPOND, rather than REACT.

So what we all have to learn to do is stop and always ask ourselves a few questions.

          1. Will responding or reacting make a difference?


          2. If I respond or react what is my goal?


          3. If I react, what message will I send about myself?


This doesn’t happen over night, but you must begin the process to change the way you think. So when you are presented with these little test, make sure you think, then RESPOND…………………



Remember,

Think Better, Live Better!!!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent article/post Doc! I couldn't agree more...reactionary vs proper responses...thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete